Traveling is one of the most pleasurable and heart-fulfilling things to do in this life. It enriches your spirit, educates your mind, and puts you in contact with different people from different cultures.
It’s one of the best ways to grow mentally and spiritually. No wonder so many people want to try at least once in their lifetime, while others make a lifestyle out of it! Even so, like any other complex activity, the more experience you gain in traveling, the better it will be.
An experienced traveler knows how to deal with sudden situations, like a flight that got delayed or finding a location in a foreign country. Sometimes, you need to learn things on your own, but it will cost you time, money, and nerves.
But what if we could give you a little help? Not too much, not too little, just some basic information you need to know before you travel. In this article, we decided to give away 13 airport secrets you need to know so you can save some time and money.
- Use the airport ATM rather than converting cash – If you didn’t know by now, airport currency exchanges have some of the worst conversion rates. But no need to despair: if you have a debit card with a four-digit PIN, you can use it anywhere in the world to withdraw cash, and you’ll save more money by not paying any ATM fee.
- Never take the first ride outside the airport – There’s an unspoken universal law that says never take the first cab outside the airport, the prices are ridiculous. If you don’t have the possibility to take the subway or the bus, just call an Uber.
- Eat before the airport – If you don’t do this, there’s a chance you’ll pay $10 for a sliced apple at your local airport cafeteria. Your choice.
- Bring medical equipment without worries – If you are afraid someone is gonna confiscate your medical equipment, relax. Yes, it gets scanned, but its validity is rarely questioned.
- Say bye-bye to that prohibited item of yours – If you forget to take out of your luggage a prohibited object, you’ll most likely never gonna see it again. They are usually confiscated and sold at the auction.
- There are behavior detection officers that have their eyes on you – If you remember Ria Torres, from the American TV Show “Lie to me”, keep in mind there are agents like her in the airport that focus only on your behavior.
- Liquids will probably cause more delays than weapons – If you don’t want to lose too much time on your security screening, avoid bringing liquids. The people bringing extra liquids in their carry-on luggage lose more time than the ones carrying dangerous items.
- Use Google Flights – Google Flights can save you time and money if you need a guiding app for your flight.
- Always take an extra battery with you – In some situations, airport delays can last forever, so make sure you have an extra battery to charge your electronics.
- You can bring mini bottles with you – If you have a special shampoo you won’t be found in the country you’re visiting, you can take it with you without worrying. All you have to do is to take it in a mini bottle.
- You can’t drink your freshly purchased booze on the plane – If you planned to drink your whiskey on rocks in the airport, better finish it before entering the plane.
- If you’ll fly from a bigger airport, you’ll save money – Maybe you won’t believe it, but it’s true. Major travel hubs, like New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles have cheaper ticket prices than smaller metro areas.
- That flashy luggage will save you time – Practically everyone has dark luggage, so why not save some time at the baggage claim by instantly recognizing your flashy and colorful luggage?
If you enjoyed reading this article, we also recommend you: 12 Common Mistakes Americans Make When Visiting Other Countries