Don’t you have a member in your family that grabs a lemon and easily eats it in less than 1 minute? Or are you that family member? Despite the fact that lemons are sour, bitter, and very acidic, they are full of vitamins and antioxidants. Even more, they are probably the healthiest fruits on the planet.
They are the number one celebrity when it comes to vitamin C, but also because they’re a great source of fiber, and other beneficial plant compounds. If you want to find out more about the benefits of these gems, check out the list below:
- Helps you stabilize your blood pressure – Commonly known as hypertension, high blood pressure is a serious health problem. It is a common disease that requires regular medication. Even so, it is considered that lemons can help manage this condition. There’s a study in the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism that discovered how long term consumption of lemons can lower high blood pressure.
- Enhances weight loss – Vitamin C and polyphenols in lemons can boost weight loss. There’s an Ayurvedic study that shows how taking lemon juice with honey can reduce weight and fat mass. Also, drinking warm water with honey is also reportedly making miracles when it comes to weight loss.
- Prevents kidney stones – In comparison with grapefruits and oranges, lemons have more Vitamin C content, which is proven to be very useful for preventing kidney stones. Lemons have high citric acid levels, which increases urinary citrate levels, without changing the urinary frequency. By drinking lemonade or lemon juice, there are more chances of increasing urinary citrate, which stops the formation of crystals in the human body, that usually lead to stones.
- Does wonders for your teeth – Yes, lemons might be acidic, but even so, they are great for teeth. The main reason for this is that they are high in Vitamin C, which keeps gums healthy. Also, changing your toothpaste with another one that has lemons as an ingredient is a great choice for your dental health. The acidic nature of this fruit is beneficial for removing stains, while Vitamin C is good for killing infections.
- When life gives you lemons, you get thicker hair… – If you didn’t know by now, lemons can be a natural hair thickener, when mixed with chamomile paste and apple cider vinegar. If you mix it with olive oil, lemon juice is also miraculous for common issues like dandruff.
- …But also great skin! – Because lemons are naturally antiseptic, they can be very good in treating skin problems, like acne or eczema. Also, some believe that lemon juice can prevent wrinkles and therefore be used as an anti-aging remedy.
- Prevents blood clots – There’s a 2014 study that shows how lemons have an anti-thrombin component, which was shown to prevent blood clots in rabbits. The study suggested that it might have the same effect on humans, as well. The anti-thrombin properties of lemon can also regulate clotting after an injury, and prevent excess blood loss in humans.
- Lemons are good for asthma sufferers – Bet you didn’t know this one! Not only are lemons great for everything we listed above, but also they can relieve respiratory problems, including asthma. Plus, the high vitamin C levels in lemons can definitely help the body to function in the proper way!
- Reduces Corns – Corns and callouses are huge issues for many people. The more we age, the more these hard lumps of skin can appear on our hands and feet. And not only they are ugly, but they can also be painful in some circumstances. But some are using this unconventional method against these lumps: they put some lemon juice on corn to painlessly dissolve it. And it works, because of the acidic nature of lemons and the levels of citric acid that breaks down the hard skin structure.
- Say goodbye to throat infections! – Naturally, when we’re having a cold, we drink lots of tea with lemon. But have you ever wondered why? Well, lemons have antibacterial properties that fight the infection.